[Koha-devel] What is biblioitemnumber for?

Paul Poulain paul.poulain at biblibre.com
Mon Nov 19 10:02:17 CET 2018

<wise-old-man mode ON>

Koha v1.x has no MARC support. In fact, it was the first FRBR compliant
software ever, long before FRBR exist... (who says Open Source is not
innovative :D )

More explanation: in Koha v1, you had to enter a minimal biblio
description (title, author(s), subject(s)) THEN one or more expression
of the work (one large print, one readed book, one pocket, ...), THEN
the different items. Very efficient and handy.

When I wrote the MARC code, I had to break this 3 level management (MARC
has only 2 levels, biblio and items).

In Koha 2.0, you had the option to stay "basic" of "marc" cataloguing.
It has been removed in Koha ??? (2.2 or 3.0 ?), only MARC cataloguing
remained.

At this time biblioitems table became useless/should have been merged,
but no one coded/hacked it. But yes, it can be removed (unless we want
to keep it for future advanced support of FRBR :D )

<wise-old-man mode OFF>

--
Paul Poulain, Associé-gérant / co-owner
BibLibre, Services en logiciels libres pour les bibliothèques