[Koha-devel] koha-testing-docker - a couple of questions

David Nind david.nind at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 23:02:27 CEST 2018

I've been getting to grips with using koha-testing-docker (
https://gitlab.com/koha-community/koha-testing-docker) since KohaCon 18.
Thanks Kyle and Tomás for having a session on it at the HackFest!

A couple of questions - apologies if the answers to these are obvious, I've
not really used docker until now...

I'm using docker on a Ubuntu 18.04 desktop.

env/defaults.env and .env
====================

Is the copy you make of defaults.env only required because docker requires
it (as instructed under Setup in the README.md file)?

Anything I've updated in .env seems to be ignored in favour of what is in
the env/defaults.env file, for example your Git user name and email.

However, if you don't have the .env file you get this error when running
docker-compose -p koha up :

> WARNING: The KOHA_INTRANET_PREFIX variable is not set. Defaulting to a
blank string.
> WARNING: The KOHA_INSTANCE variable is not set. Defaulting to a blank
string.
> WARNING: The KOHA_INTRANET_SUFFIX variable is not set. Defaulting to a
blank string.
> WARNING: The KOHA_DOMAIN variable is not set. Defaulting to a blank
string.
> WARNING: The KOHA_OPAC_PREFIX variable is not set. Defaulting to a blank
string.
> WARNING: The KOHA_OPAC_SUFFIX variable is not set. Defaulting to a blank
string.
> WARNING: The RUN_TESTS_AND_EXIT variable is not set. Defaulting to a
blank string.
> WARNING: The COVERAGE variable is not set. Defaulting to a blank string.
> ERROR: The Compose file './docker-compose.yml' is invalid because:
> services.koha.networks.kohanet contains non-unique items, please remove
duplicates from [u'', u'']

For the moment I just make changes in env/defaults.env and copy this to .env

UNIMARC support
==============

Does koha-testing-docker support UNIMARC at this stage?

Adding either UNIMARC or unimarc to the env/defaults.env file didn't seem
to make any difference.

Normally I would use MARC21, but I was trying to test a UNIMARC patch - the
UNIMARC specific script said it only works on UNIMARC (surprisingly
enough!).

If I try reset_all_unimarc in the container it hangs at the last line:

> Inserting
/kohadevbox/koha/installer/data/mysql/en/marcflavour/unimarc/mandatory/authorities_normal_unimarc.sql...
> Inserting
/kohadevbox/koha/installer/data/mysql/en/marcflavour/unimarc/mandatory/unimarc_framework_DEFAULT.sql...
> Setting the MARC flavour on the sysprefs...
> Setting Koha version to 18.0600035...
> Running [sudo koha-shell kohadev -p -c
'PERL5LIB=/kohadevbox/koha:/kohadevbox/qa-test-tools perl
/kohadevbox/misc4dev/create_superlibrarian.pl --userid koha --password koha
']...
> Running [sudo koha-shell kohadev -c
'PERL5LIB=/kohadevbox/koha:/kohadevbox/qa-test-tools perl
/kohadevbox/misc4dev/insert_data.pl --marcflavour UNIMARC']...
> There is no records data for UNIMARC yet at /kohadevbox/misc4dev/
insert_data.pl line 50.

Also, is there an easy way to tell if Koha is using UNIMARC? I assume you
can tell by looking at the default cataloguing framework (if you know what
you are looking for, which I don't).

Rebuilding search indexes
=====================

After docker is running you don't get any search reults when searching the
catalogue.

Is having to rebuild the search index manually once docker has started the
normal behaviour?

Is it possible to have the indexes created as part of docker starting up?

Or is there a reason why this isn't done? (Depending on whether you want to
use Zebra or Elastic.)

Getting my head around docker
=========================

I found this quick guide useful to get the concepts of docker
https://vsupalov.com/6-docker-basics/

As well, the docker documentation is helpful after that
https://docs.docker.com/get-started/

Are there any other useful guides or tutorials that you would recommend to
people new to docker?

Thanks for everyone's work that has made koha-testing-docker possible!

David Nind | david.nind at gmail.com
PO Box 12367, Thorndon, Wellington, New Zealand 6144
m. +64 21 0537 847