[Koha-devel] New Rest API RFCs

Ere Maijala ere.maijala at helsinki.fi
Tue Oct 23 16:24:39 CEST 2018

Josef,

Thanks for the taking the initiative! I added some comments about the
checkouts endpoint in the wiki, but perhaps it's easier to discuss here,
so I'll add them here too:

While fetching the information about the checkout itself is a good
start, often some more information is needed, and if it means that
several requests need to be made, things get slow pretty quickly. So I'd
suggest adding an expanded version of the response with at least the
following extra information. This is based on my experiences with
integrating several different ILS's with our VuFind based discovery
interface.

1. Renewability
2. Maximum number of renewals
3. Basic information about the biblio and item (biblio.biblionumber,
biblio.title, items.barcode, items.enumchron)

When there are a lot of loans, supporting server-side paging and sorting
can make a huge difference (especially with the expanded response). This
could be accomplished with the addition of offset, limit and sort
parameters.

403 is valid response code if you try to renew a non-renewable loan, but
error codes should not be used to indicate a status. So the renewability
check should rather return 200 and an actual response telling if renewal
is possible.

Regards,
Ere

Josef Moravec kirjoitti 23.10.2018 klo 13.07:
> Hello developers,
>
> Me and Michal Denar were thinking a bit about some REST api endpoints,
> write down some rfcs and would like to see any comment on them ;)
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> https://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Checkouts_endpoint_RFC
> https://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Availability_endpoints_RFC
>
> In this one we heavily used Katrin's comments and proposed new object
> definition, thanks Katrin ;)
> https://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Items_endpoint_RFC
>
> --
> Josef Moravec
> josef.moravec at gmail.com <mailto:josef.moravec at gmail.com>

Ere Maijala
Kansalliskirjasto / The National Library of Finland