[Koha-devel] Upgrade db to v19.11

Paul A paul.a at navalmarinearchive.com
Sat Dec 14 16:11:47 CET 2019

I have the possibility over the next month or two of examining the
upgrading Koha from 3.8.24 to 19.11 (latest stable release.)  We have
the hardware available, but have a couple of questions before I plan the
workflow:

a) database migration? I have looked at the schemas, and am worried that
there are substantial changes. Our production servers contain some
250,000 items. We are not a lending library, so have no concerns with
that side of library management -- only with pure cataloguing, for which
we use over 100 custom reports, 900 "sources", ten customized biblio
frameworks, etc -- how best to proceed? Is there a script (or multiple
scripts) that would do it?

b) server software? does "pure" Debian (which we have never used in
production) have advantages over Ubuntu LTS (with which we are extremely
comfortable)?

c) We normally build from tarballs, but have received some criticism in
the past. The reason is that once we have a server locked into
production, we never (major security excepted) touch it; our 3.8.24 has
now been running for 1,467 days without rebooting, and "if it ain't
broken, leave it alone."  Is the final installation package/tarball
identical using the different methods?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Season's greetings,
Paul