[Koha-devel] Problems with "LOC" authorized values and tokenization

David Cook dcook at prosentient.com.au
Thu Feb 21 01:10:52 CET 2019

Hi all,

I have a library with lots of problematic data in their "LOC" authorized
value codes, and it's led me to a few issues.

1.       LOC authorized values can contain "*", "(", and ")" but all of
these characters will cause the ZOOM library to fail to compile the CCL2RPN
query.

2.       mc-loc (from the "Shelving location" tab on
/cgi-bin/koha/catalogue/search.pl) seems to be doing an incomplete search.
That means if you have two locations like "Big Box" and "Big Box - Drawer",
"Big Box" will return items for both locations.

The reason for #2 is actually kind of interesting. While the RPN/PQF query
is "@attr 1=8013 @attr 4=1 apple_street" and @attr 4=1 represents a "phrase"
search, Zebra is actually using the "w" register and not the "p" register.
It's because of the "Completeness Attributes (type = 6)":

"Incomplete subfield (1) is the default, and makes Zebra use register
type="w", whereas Complete field (3) triggers search and scan in index
type="p"." (https://software.indexdata.com/zebra/doc/querymodel-rpn.html).

If we wanted to actually just get the exact location, we'd want to use
"mc-loc,complete-field", but then we'd get Zebra errors because mc-loc
doesn't use the "p" type register currently, although that would be easy
enough to add.

David Cook

Systems Librarian

Prosentient Systems