[Koha-devel] Arabic records indexing

Katrin Fischer katrin.fischer.83 at web.de
Mon Jun 10 10:42:06 CEST 2019

Hi,

in order to be able to search for non-Latin script with Zebra, you will
need to activate ICU for indexing. There are several pages on the wiki
explaining on how to do that:

https://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/ICU_chains_configuration

But there is a catch: At the moment Koha doesn't index the 880 fields
properly. What you'd want to do ideally is linking the 880 with 245
content to the Title indexes, etc. So turning on ICU will make Arabic
searchable from your keyword index, but not from other more specific ones.

See: Bug 17407 - Fields cataloged using MARC21 880 are only searchable
using keyword search

I think you might also want to have a look at your records and try to
combine the subfields $6 and others into one 880 each, instead of having
them separate (880$6...$a...). It will also improve the display in the
catalog, as it would also help the system to recognize which fields are
using RTL script. It could also be the base for better indexing in the
future.

Hope this helps,

Katrin