[Koha-devel] Using unsanitized data in regular expressions

David Cook dcook at prosentient.com.au
Mon Mar 4 08:00:51 CET 2019

Hi all,

I encountered a problem recently where create-pdf.pl was stuck in an
infinite loop because a string passed into '$line =~ s/$1//;' in
C4::Patroncards::Patroncard contained "(TEST)" and it was treating the
parentheses as metacharacters and not literal values.

I fixed the problem by changing the line to  '$line =~ s/\Q$1\E//;', so that
anything in $1 would be escaped, but it got me thinking about other parts of
Koha. I'm not saying that it's necessarily a problem in other parts of Koha,
but that it might be good to be mindful of it.

David Cook

Systems Librarian

Prosentient Systems

72/330 Wattle St