[Koha-devel] Best practices for using Koha APIs server-side by Koha

Michael Hafen (TECH) michael.hafen at washk12.org
Fri Aug 7 18:45:45 CEST 2020

Maybe I'm lacking in imagination, but I can only think of two cases where a
Koha to Koha api would be useful: scheduled tasks (cron, et. all), and
command line scripts.  I think in both of these cases it's feasible to
avoid auth entirely since it is basically jumping right into Koha at the
control level (assuming an MCV approach).  As someone who has a deployment
of Koha heavily dependent on IndependentBranches mode, I find I have to
watch for %userenv{branch}, but that's for rare cases in which branch can't
be taken from the data being operated on.  The only other thing I can think
of would be something like notices wanting to take a user's preferred
language, and pull a language specific template (do we even do that at this
point?).
Please enlighten me on your use cases, I'm probably missing something.

On Fri, Aug 7, 2020 at 5:09 AM <dcook at prosentient.com.au> wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> I mostly see Koha APIs being used client-side by Koha using cookie
> authentication.
>

> I know we have OAuth2 and Basic Auth that can be tied to a Koha user, and
> used by a third-party system, which is great.
>

> However, what about when we have server-side Koha components that want to
> use Koha APIs? (I suppose you could set up a user for that component, but
> it could always be deleted by an overzealous librarian.)
>

> Or should we only be using a Message Broker (like RabbitMQ) for passing
> messages among Koha server-side components? (That would require more of a
> service oriented architecture of course, which we don’t have in place,
> while we do have a HTTP API in place.)
>

> What are your thoughts?
>

> David Cook
>
> Systems Librarian
>
> Prosentient Systems
>
> 72/330 Wattle St
>
> Ultimo, NSW 2007
>
> Australia
>

> Office: 02 9212 0899
>
> Online: 02 8005 0595

Michael Hafen
Washington County School District Technology Department
Systems Analyst