[Koha-devel] Assigning TCP ports to per-instance Koha services (e.g. koha-sip)

dcook at prosentient.com.au dcook at prosentient.com.au
Wed Aug 12 02:49:43 CEST 2020

Hi all,

I've noticed that "koha-sip" will copy /etc/koha/SIPconfig.xml into
/etc/koha/sites/${name}/SIPconfig.xml, but it retains the default port of
6001.

Obviously, only 1 service can bind to port 6001 inside the same network
namespace, so that's only going to work once, and any following "koha-sip
--enable" will need manual intervention after.

Is this a convention that we should expect for all current and future
per-instance Koha services using TCP ports? Or should we be thinking about
ways of dynamically allocating free ports?

I suppose that most multi-Koha installations will have a vendor/service
provider who can easily configure backend systems, whereas many
organisations without technical expertise are more likely to run only 1 Koha
instance (and thus benefit from single hard-coded defaults).

So maybe just hard-coding a default into a per-instance Koha service makes
sense? Or having an option on CLI scripts like koha-sip to define a port (to
ease things for vendors) while leaving the default for users with less
complex requirements?

Just curious what people think.

David Cook

Software Engineer