[Koha-devel] Adding peer review status to article records

dcook at prosentient.com.au dcook at prosentient.com.au
Mon Feb 17 02:05:21 CET 2020

It does have me thinking. we already have the biblio_metadata table set up
to allow arbitrary metadata to be added to a bibliographic record. Really we
just need a system for doing CRUD, have code for rendering views of the
data, and code for allowing that data to be searchable*.

In terms of CRUD, data rendering, and I suppose even indexing, plugins might
be a useful way to experiment with this functionality. (Of course, there's
always the danger that people go off on a million different custom pathways
which makes support a nightmare.)

This also has me thinking about RDF/Linked Data. I think in the past I had
too much of an hopelessly idealist vision of how Linked Data should work,
but Fedora Commons has inspired me to see RDF as just another metadata
format that can handle countless schemas. With Fedora Commons, the subject
URI is your web URI, the predicate is whatever schema URI you want to use,
and then the object is often a literal string. Fedora Commons doesn't use a
triplestore out of the box, so we don't need to worry about that right now.
We could just store some RDF/XML or JSON-LD in the biblio_metadata table
(personally I like working programmatically with JSON-LD but RDF/XML is
probably more MySQL friendly due to its XML parsing functionality - although
MariaDB 10.2 adds JSON support I think which should be available in Debian
Buster. RDF/XML would also be XSLT friendly).

*Technically, Zebra can handle any XML, but we just give it MARCXML. There's
no reason Zebra couldn't handle more XML-based formats. That being said, I
think we've all agreed Elasticsearch is the future, and I think there's
already work done/being done on that to allow arbitrary metadata to be
added?

David Cook

Systems Librarian

Prosentient Systems