[Koha-devel] Minimal docker images for Koha

dcook at prosentient.com.au dcook at prosentient.com.au
Tue Feb 18 01:25:10 CET 2020

Hi Julian,

Awesome to see you playing with Docker. I love Docker and I've been thinking about assembling similar Docker images for Koha, but haven't had the time, so hurray for you doing it!

I couldn't get your first URL to work as I think that's an authorised user link. Is it safe to say that this is the public link? https://hub.docker.com/r/julianmaurice/koha

Did you try the "debian:buster-slim" image? I keep meaning to look to see what makes these Koha images so large. With an interpreted language like Perl and Koha's immense functionality, I think it would be challenging to get a small image size. RedHat's registry.access.redhat.com/ubi8/perl-526 image is 658MB and that's without anything application specific even installed.

That being said, I think I see some places where you could improve your Dockerfile. Have you checked out multi-stage builds at https://docs.docker.com/develop/develop-images/multistage-build/? In your final image, you shouldn't need packages like gcc, git, *-dev, make, cpanm, etc. You can install those in a "builder" image and do the Koha build there. Then you can copy your Perl libraries and built Koha into the final image. That should also help you cut down on the number of layers you have.

Nice work identifying those system perl dependencies. I keep thinking how we should minimize those. It should be reasonably easy to fix those.

Actually, if Koha and its Perl dependencies are localized, you could override those with a mounted volume... which makes me wonder why you couldn't use a more minimal Linux...

I've actually been meaning to make some OpenSUSE Koha images which would help test out the concept of a minimal Koha running on something other than Debian as well, although one may as well use Debian, since that's the supported OS for Koha...

David Cook
Systems Librarian
Prosentient Systems
72/330 Wattle St