[Koha-devel] Rancor/Advanced MARC Editor templates?

dcook at prosentient.com.au dcook at prosentient.com.au
Thu Jul 23 06:37:14 CEST 2020

Hi all,

Is it possible to define templates for Rancor/Advanced MARC Editor?

On systems like Horizon, it's possible to have different templates, so
cataloguers can at a glance see what fields they need to fill in for a
particular type of record (e.g. book vs journal vs dvd).

If it's not possible, I want to make it possible, but I'm not sure if we
should use the "Editor" setting in MARC Bibliographic Frameworks, or create
a new feature for providing Rancor Templates.

Personally, I've always hated how MARC Bibliographic Frameworks act as both
Editor templates (for rendering HTML) and data filters (ie if the field is
not in the framework, it gets stripped out of the record at save time).

In my ideal world, editor templates and data filters would be 2 separate
features. For Rancor, I think MARC Bibliographic Frameworks already act as
data filters, and it would be backwards incompatible to use them for
templates as well, so adding a new feature for Rancor templates is probably
the logical conclusion?

David Cook

Systems Librarian

Prosentient Systems