[Koha-devel] Deploying Koha at scale

Mengu Yazicioglu mengu at devinim.com.tr
Thu Jun 11 21:12:27 CEST 2020

Hi,

I'd like to share some experiences of our installations and what we have
done and we haven't.

We've used many servers for apache part, and galera cluster for Mariadb
part. We used nginx for load balancing and I shared a new entry in the
wiki about our conf:
https://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Nginx_conf_sample_for_load_balancing_with_many_servers

The main problem always occured from Zebra site as you said David.
Indexing for more millions records was horrible of course.

After indexing it was easy to copy data and create new server while
working in a huge VM environment. Not only indexing data but also with
many requests from users also used a lot of resources of hardwares.
Since Zebra part was the weak point, we preferred to power database
servers and change a lot of code just to search directly from database
instead of using Zebra. This gave us quite big flexibility in our
installation.

In some problems, if we need to do re-indexing Zebra, we used nigths of
the day to do that and used some extra servers for indexing and when
finished we copied the data.

I personally spend a lot of time for Zebra things and I really hate its
structure. I hope Elastic search will be good for cluster environments.

We also thought Dockerized environment for a scale for large
installations but we could not find necessary money and time to finish.

Best regards

Mengu

Devinim Ltd.