[Koha-devel] REST API not working in koha-testing-docker?

dcook at prosentient.com.au dcook at prosentient.com.au
Thu Mar 12 05:41:08 CET 2020

Hi all,

I'm finally getting around to playing with the REST API, but it's not quite
working as expected.

In koha-testing-docker (with the latest koha-testing-docker git repo and
Docker images as of this writing), I'm getting the following in the browser:

1.	200 OK

a.	http://localhost:8080/api/v1/.html
b.	http://localhost:8080/api/v1/ or http://localhost:8080/api/v1/.json

2.	500 Internal Server error (with no obvious messages in the server
logs other than a missing "Routing to a callback")

a.	http://localhost:8080/api/v1/items
b.	http://localhost:8080/api/v1/patrons
c.	http://localhost:8080/api/v1/libraries

If I use "curl" or a Perl script, then I get a 401 error instead of a 500
error. (Although in Koha 19.11, I can get JSON results in either the browser
or with curl for those endpoints, but that's a whole other matter.)

RESTBasicAuth = 1 means I can use the API via curl, but still nothing via
the browser. Which is fine I guess in practice but it's not really what
you'd expect. I often use browser requests to test out GET requests for
APIs.

I don't really get how RESTPublicAPI works either. If it's disabled, it says
'{"error":"Configuration prevents the usage of this endpoint by unprivileged
users"}', but that doesn't seem accurate, since disabling that system
preference blocks the /public APIs in general, right? Even if you use a
privileged user, it still doesn't work.

Actually, even with RESTPublicAPI enabled, I can't get the /public endpoints
to work. I get errors like this '{"error":"Authorization failure. Missing
required permission(s).","required_permissions":null}'.

This email is getting a bit long and I think I have a million other API
problems, so I might just work through one by one and open Bugzilla tickets
as I go.

David Cook

Systems Librarian

Prosentient Systems