[Koha-devel] Alerting users to breaking changes / backwards incompatibility

dcook at prosentient.com.au dcook at prosentient.com.au
Thu May 28 01:34:44 CEST 2020

Hi all,

I was just thinking how a lot of SQL reports will return unexpected results
when we merge the deleted* tables with their live/active counterparts.

What do people think about a modal popup in the reports (on a per user
basis) alerting them to how they may need to update their reports following
an upgrade which changes reporting behaviour?

I'm not 100% sure how we'd do it, but it's something we could re-use through
much of the Koha staff client.

Or maybe we could raise a flag in the borrower row during an upgrade, and
when they log into the staff client, they're presented with a "You need to
know." kind of page. After all, users aren't going to be reading release
notes, and sysadmins doing upgrades aren't necessarily going to do the best
job communicating to every single staff user about what they need to know in
an upgrade.

But that's easier said than done too, especially when you're upgrading past
multiple versions.

Anyway, just putting it out there. As you can see, I haven't thought about
it too deeply yet.

David Cook

Systems Librarian

Prosentient Systems