[Koha-devel] Inconsistent Perl shebangs (new coding guideline?)

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Tue Oct 13 23:19:23 CEST 2020

"Renvoize, Martin" <martin.renvoize at ptfs-europe.com> wrote:

> My vague recollection of such a conversation was summarized in this
> post: https://jmmv.dev/2016/09/env-considered-harmful.html
>
> I'm generally pro /usr/bin/env but they do make some good points in
> the above that are worth consideration.

Let me consider those six points (converting roman numerals to arabic):

1-3. basically variations on using env might not find the version you
want - but that applies to /usr/bin/perl too;

4. cannot pass flags to the interpreter - do we want to?

5. affected by user environment - I think we use some environment
variables anyway, so we already need to control the environment, so
this is not a problem for Koha.

6. "not suitable to being installed" due to 1-5 plus some arbitrary
rules about "the installed script must see the exact same environment
that was specified at installation time" which is not true of any
system getting security updates, is it? Maybe I don't understand this
point.

So I don't think I see a compelling reason against env there.

Have I missed something?

Regards,
--

MJR http://mjr.towers.org.uk/