[Koha-devel] Packaging idea (for decoupling systems, Docker, etc)

dcook at prosentient.com.au dcook at prosentient.com.au
Thu Apr 15 05:32:59 CEST 2021

Hey all,

What do people think about creating a "koha-libs" package which just
contains Koha's libraries (ie C4/, Koha/, etc)?

I'm not as familiar with DEB packaging as I am with RPM packaging, but I
recently did it with a RPM-based project I manage. It allowed me to easily
create other services with the same dependencies. I created these other
services in other Docker containers, and I was able to use my core
application libraries without having to install the entire application in
every container. I share the application configuration file between them and
that's it.

It's not a perfect solution. Really what I want is app-service1,
app-service2, app-service3, and app-common with app-common containing the
shared libraries. But I like it as an intermediate step.

And I would be lying if it didn't have pros and cons. One con is updating a
library in app-libs, when I need a change in app-service1, and then making
sure that all my deployments have the right updated library. More overhead
than just having a monolithic application. On the other hand, if I want to
make a change just to app-service1, I can just update it without having to
affect any other parts of the application. That added overhead also gives
incentive for writing cleaner testable code which does the right thing in
the first place.

Anyway, just food for thought.

David Cook

Software Engineer