[Koha-devel] Improvement of our upgrade process

Jonathan Druart jonathan.druart at bugs.koha-community.org
Tue Aug 17 11:16:55 CEST 2021

Hi devs,

Bug 25078 was pushed yesterday and it modifies how we deal with our upgrade
process.

I adjusted the wiki page -
https://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Database_updates

The different things to know about it:
* The skeleton for atomic updates is modified [1]
* On push the atomic updates are no longer appended to updatedatabase.pl
but moved to a new db_revs directory (named by version, like 210600016.pl
for the entry 21.06.00.016)
* Versions from 21.06.00.000 have been migrated to use this new mechanism,
older are still in updatabase.pl
* updatabase.pl is still the script to call if you want to upgrade the DB
* Each DB rev (and atomic update) is executed in a transaction that
rollbacks and stop the upgrade process if something went wrong
* Old atomicupdate format will still work (but require more work for the RM)
* Better error handling and better warnings possible
* Nicer UI during the upgrade step (step3)

Let me know if you have any questions!

Cheers,
Jonathan

[1]