[Koha-devel] Listing Zebra (and Elasticsearch) indexes for end-users' benefit

dcook at prosentient.com.au dcook at prosentient.com.au
Thu Aug 19 05:12:41 CEST 2021

Hi all,

As always, a new day brings a new Zebra idea.

One of my librarians asked me if there was any way to get a list of Zebra
indexes (particularly for Record Matching Rules), and I was all prepared to
say no. when I remembered something I read the other day.

It turns out you can send the query "@attr exp1 1=1 attributedetails" to the
magical database "IR-explain-1", and it will give you a list of all the
indexes in that database along with the type of index and how many documents
are indexed against that index in the database. I think this is something
that we should add to Koha!

I'm not familiar with Koha's use of Elasticsearch, but I imagine there is an
easy way of getting a list of Elasticsearch indexes?

--

Of course, while having a list of indexes is good, it would be nice to know
what MARC data is in each of those indexes. I'm thinking about creating a

What do folk think about that? I think having a list of Zebra indexes would
be very useful for Record Matching Rules, but also for a "Search tips" guide
for the Staff Interface and OPAC.

While we could provide a static list of indexes, but I think that would be
too much of a maintenance burden. I think having a list from Zebra (or
Elasticsearch), which we could cache in Memcached, would be the way to go.

Ideally, we could have an API route that surfaces this information, so that
we could just do an AJAX lookup from a web interface.

--

I'm hoping my librarian will sponsor development of a plugin, but I think
this would be useful in the core Koha code.

David Cook

Senior Software Engineer

Prosentient Systems

Suite 7.03