[Koha-devel] Elasticsearch changing licences

Thomas Klausner domm at plix.at
Fri Jan 15 11:47:35 CET 2021

Hi!

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 10:11:20AM +0000, Hugo Agud Andreu wrote:

> as far as I have understood we still could use as ES license is still
> open, tha changes only affects to those that change the code of ES
> that they will be forced to publish their own developments, as Koha
> only uses API and none code modification is done, then no problem with
> ussing ES

I haven't looked into the detail myself, but I know Vicky, and assume
that she spend a fair shair of thinking before publishing this:
https://anonymoushash.vmbrasseur.com/2021/01/14/elasticsearch-and-kibana-are-now-business-risks

I'm using ES in a few projects, so I will have to consider if I just
freeze ES at the current version, and/or look for some alternatives in
the future. Or maybe they won't go through with the new license? Or
maybe it will be clarified how the license actually affects projects
just using ES.

Greetings,
domm

--