[Koha-devel] Elasticsearch changing licences

Ere Maijala ere.maijala at helsinki.fi
Tue Jan 19 08:45:41 CET 2021

Well, if ES doesn't need to be replaced, adding Solr support would still
be an interesting experiment. ;)

Indeed there are more reasons for clustering. I was thinking more of the
traditional ES default of 5 shards per index. In any case, when you
start thinking about HA and LB, there's always some added complexity,
and while requiring Zookeeper with Solr is another puzzle piece compared
to ES's way, I've found it to be a very small part of the whole deal.
And if you want HA, you'll probably want to go for 3 nodes or another
odd number to avoid any split brain issues. With Solr you can easily
have two beefy nodes running Zookeeper+Solr alongside a smaller one
running only Zookeeper.

What I've found more of an issue with both ES and Solr is the
documentation or lack of it. While most of the time all the API calls,
configuration etc. has been documented, the core concepts and why you'd
want to use them may not be. Solr's has been improving, but there are
still some features that I have trouble understanding properly (e.g.
autoscaling stuff).

--Ere