[Koha-devel] Elasticsearch changing licences

dcook at prosentient.com.au dcook at prosentient.com.au
Wed Jan 27 23:51:34 CET 2021

I think that Shay Banon was exaggerating calling "Open Distro for Elasticsearch" a fork.

If you look at https://github.com/opendistro-for-elasticsearch/opendistro-build/blob/master/elasticsearch/linux_distributions/opendistro-tar-build.sh#L29 and https://github.com/opendistro-for-elasticsearch/opendistro-build/blob/master/release-tools/scripts/manifest.yml, you'll see that Amazon downloads the pre-built open source version of Elasticsearch and then adds its own seemingly open source plugins. (I'm guessing the dig by Shay Banon here is implying that these open source plugins were actually copied from the proprietary plugins developed by Elastic.)

Amazon refute quite a few of Elastic's claims, but it would take time to double-check them all. Unfortunately the graphics in the following article are missing now: https://www.techrepublic.com/article/aws-contributes-to-elasticsearch-and-critics-say-its-kneecapping-competitors/. I did have a look through https://github.com/elastic/elasticsearch/graphs/contributors and pretty much every contributor I looked at was from Elastic. https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/opensource/stepping-up-for-a-truly-open-source-elasticsearch/ mentions a number of pull requests from AWS, which appear to be merged, but Github isn't listing stats correctly, so it's tough to easily see.

Both sides are self-interested so I am skeptical of what both sides say. Looking through Elasticsearch commits, the vast majority come from the Elastic company. While AWS has resources, I wonder how well they'd be able to compete with Elastic's Elasticsearch. With MongoDB, it sounds like Amazon's fork and MongoDB have diverged a fair amount with the Amazon fork being less good than MongoDB. So I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happens with Elasticsearch.

David Cook
Software Engineer
Prosentient Systems
Suite 7.03