[Koha-devel] Notes about Docker Swarm / Portainer and Koha

dcook at prosentient.com.au dcook at prosentient.com.au
Tue Jun 15 01:42:52 CEST 2021

Sounds like a plan to me.

David Cook

Software Engineer

Prosentient Systems

Suite 7.03

6a Glen St

Milsons Point NSW 2061

Australia

Office: 02 9212 0899

Online: 02 8005 0595

From: Koha-devel <koha-devel-bounces at lists.koha-community.org> On Behalf Of Tomas Cohen Arazi
Sent: Saturday, 12 June 2021 1:05 AM
To: koha-devel <koha-devel at lists.koha-community.org>
Subject: [Koha-devel] Notes about Docker Swarm / Portainer and Koha

Hi all, for the 21.05 release, I proposed to launch the API docs site [1]. I did it on Theke's infrastructure for simplicity, but then started thinking how management could be handed to the community.

This site is provided by a docker image [2] that is built on each change on the Koha community repository. This is triggered by webhooks.

With the idea that this image should be deployed in production automatically, I deployed a Portainer service. Portainer would let us configure and deploy (dockerized) services in a fairly easy way, has an API, and also provides webhooks for triggering things like redeploying/updating (what I needed for api.koha-community.org <http://api.koha-community.org> ).

Right now this is running under Theke's umbrella, but my idea is to hand this to the community, especially those running the services we use. The short term plan would be to:

1. Have the following domains point to the server we are providing:

- traefik.koha-community.org <http://traefik.koha-community.org>

- portainer.koha-community.org <http://portainer.koha-community.org>

- api.koha-community.org <http://api.koha-community.org>

2. Migrate Jenkins into this server/setup

3. Anyone running server for community purposes, can make them join this 'swarm' so we can use them.

4. There will be some community members with admin access to this, so we can all do maintenance tasks like restarting a service, etc.

5. Help is needed regarding backups and how we want to deal with that.

We volunteer to help anyone running community sites migrate to this schema.

[1] https://api.koha-community.org

[2] https://gitlab.com/koha-community/koha-api-docs/-/pipelines/316321820

--

Tomás Cohen Arazi