[Koha-devel] Rolling DB upgrades

Joonas Kylmälä joonas.kylmala at helsinki.fi
Tue Mar 2 16:00:03 CET 2021

Hi,

for example if we rename a DB column in Koha now we need to stop all the
koha web server instances (or they stop responding because because koha
checks that db revision is correct), do DB upgrade, start all Koha web
server instances. With rolling upgrade we would first create another
column with the same name and write & read data to both columns during
the 1st step of upgrade, then in 2nd step when all web server nodes are
using latest version we could upgrade again to newer version and just
delete the old column and start using new one.

Ahaha, there is probably better explanation online if you search
"rolling database schema upgrade" but hopefully the above clarfied my
intention.

Joonas