[Koha-devel] custom core patches management

David Schmidt mail at davidschmidt.at
Tue Nov 2 11:00:56 CET 2021

Hello koha community,

We made some changes to our Koha instance and are now looking for a mechanism to apply them to a new installation.

- some of the changes are simply new files, thats easy.
- some changes were possible to put into plugins or use existing hooks.

but how do you deal with changes to the koha sourcecode?

this is our strategy:

1) we have a git repo with our koha source code.
2) if we change code in Foobar.pm we create 3 files.
Foobar.pm.orig
Foobar.pm.changed
Foobar.pm.patch
3) on a new koha instance next we have a script `install.sh` that compares Foobar.pm.orig with the installed file. if they match, the patch is applied.

Does that sound like a good idea?
How do YOU manage core changes that do not go upstream?

cheers,
david