[Koha-devel] Discourse forum / mailing list

dcook at prosentient.com.au dcook at prosentient.com.au
Tue Nov 16 07:04:13 CET 2021

Hi folks,

I'm still working on using Discourse locally so I figured I'd share my
experiences.

Overall, I like the functionality well enough so far, although it can be
annoying to setup and develop against (ie for plugins). We should feel good
about koha-testing-docker, because it works very well out of the box whereas
Discourse's dev environment really expects you to be a solo programmer on a
Ubuntu laptop with no other development projects. It's a bit painful. They
also are so entrenched in their bespoke bash scripting around Docker that
they refuse to use Docker Compose. It's sad.

Anyway, I figure the Koha community would run up its own Discourse, but if
we wanted to be lazy we could just use this:
https://blog.discourse.org/2016/03/free-discourse-forum-hosting-for-communit
y-friendly-github-projects/

David Cook

Senior Software Engineer