[Koha-devel] shelf-browser replacement for koha

Paul Derscheid paul.derscheid at lmscloud.de
Tue Apr 12 17:47:26 CEST 2022

Hi everyone,

I developed a replacement for the koha shelf-browser realised as a JavaScript library which is already in production with one of our clients.
tcohen asked me to provide necessary infos and resources so others can take a look.

The most important part is LMSCoverFlow.js <https://github.com/LMSCloud/Koha-LMSCloud/blob/master/koha-tmpl/opac-tmpl/bootstrap/js/LMSCoverFlow.js> which is the library itself.
For the actual function calls take a look at opac-detail.tt <https://github.com/LMSCloud/Koha-LMSCloud/blob/master/koha-tmpl/opac-tmpl/bootstrap/en/modules/opac-detail.tt> starting at line 1710.
The shelf-browser functionality depends on some scripts, namely coverflowbyshelfitem <https://github.com/LMSCloud/Koha-LMSCloud/blob/master/opac/svc/coverflowbyshelfitem> and covergen <https://github.com/LMSCloud/Koha-LMSCloud/blob/master/opac/svc/covergen>
The corresponding modules are CoverFlowData.pm <https://github.com/LMSCloud/Koha-LMSCloud/blob/master/C4/CoverFlowData.pm> and CoverGen.pm <https://github.com/LMSCloud/Koha-LMSCloud/blob/master/C4/CoverGen.pm>.
I already got lectured on not putting stuff in C4. Next goal is to move everything data related to an API endpoint.
The js is actually written in TypeScript using ES6 modules and I will change the visibility of the corresponding repo soon and notify you accordingly.

Since the shelf browser is based on itemcallnumbers, it is necessary to assign such to a sufficient amount of titles (9 when I tested on koha-testing-docker).

To see how it looks in prod take a look at this OPAC <https://sb-heilbronn.lmscloud.net/>.

If my explanation is not sufficient or I should have forgotten something, you can send me a mail or write to me on IRC. My nick is paulderscheid.

I’d love to get feedback and I’m open to criticism.

Kind Regards.

Paul

--
LMSCloud GmbH