[Koha-devel] Dependency problem when installing Koha 21.11.10 on Debian 11

Michael Hafen michael.hafen at washk12.org
Thu Aug 4 21:13:06 CEST 2022

The "journalctl -xe" output you emailed before showed you logging in.
There wasn't any output from rabbitmq in there.  Perhaps there is more to
what "journalctl -xe" is showing than was in your previous email that could
explain why rabbitmq-server is failing to start/initialize.

On my system the systemd unit file for the rabbitmq-server service is at
/lib/systemd/system/rabbitmq-server.service.  In this file I see that
rabbitmq-server runs as the rabbitmq user with the command
/usr/sbin/rabbitmq-server.  This requires the Erlang Port Mapper to be
running first though, which is in the file /lib/systemd/system/epmd.service
and epmd.socket.  That file runs /usr/bin/epmd -systemd as the epmd user.

I have tried running the rabbitmq-server command from the command line with
sudo as the relevant user.  It seems to have started, but hasn't given any
output (maybe it is silently succeeding).  That might be a way to
troubleshot the command though (sudo -u rabbitmq -H
/usr/sbin/rabbitmq-server).  I had to check the process list (ps
-elfH|less) to see that it was starting.  I don't know how to tell at this
point if it has initialized or finished starting or not, since the child
processes in both cases seem the same.

There are also many files in the /var/log/rabbitmq/ folder that could
provide more information.  I see startup_err, startup_log,
rabbit@[hostname].log,
and log/crash.log that may be useful (in that order I expect).

At any rate, between further inspection of the "journalctl -xe" output, log
files, and trying to run the server from the command line, you might be
able to get more information on why it's failing.

On Thu, Aug 4, 2022 at 8:46 AM Michael Kuhn <mik at adminkuhn.ch> wrote:

> Hi Mason
>
> You wrote:
>
>  >> Do you maybe have any hint how to find out what could be the problem
>  >> with the failing configuration of package "rabbitmq-server"?
>  >
>  > try reinstalling rabbitmq-server first, then installing koha-common
>  >
>  >   # apt purge rabbitmq-server koha-common
>  >   # apt install rabbitmq-server
>  >   # apt install koha-common
>  >
>  >
>  > note the 'Status' value when rabbitmq is running correctly
>  >
>  > root at deb11:#  systemctl status rabbitmq-server.service
>  > * rabbitmq-server.service - RabbitMQ Messaging Server
>  >       Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/rabbitmq-server.service;
>  > enabled; vendor pre>
>  >       Active: active (running) since Thu 2022-08-04 13:21:32 UTC; 2min
>  > 56s ago
>  >     Main PID: 5844 (beam.smp)
>  >       Status: "Initialized" <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
>  >        Tasks: 86 (limit: 2190)
>  >       Memory: 75.3M
>  >          CPU: 11.458s
>  >       CGroup: /system.slice/rabbitmq-server.service
>  >               |-5844 /usr/lib/erlang/erts-11.1.8/bin/beam.smp -W w -K
>  > true -A 64 -MBas>
>  >               |-5944 erl_child_setup 65536
>  >               |-5994 inet_gethost 4
>  >               `-5995 inet_gethost 4
>  >
>  >>
>  >> Did anyone out there successfully install either Koha 21.11.10 or
>  >> Koha 22.05.03 on a new machine with Debian GNU/Linux 11?
>  >
>  > yes,  i confirmed that both versions install ok on deb11
>
> I just purged both packages, then tried to install "rabbitmq-server":
>

> root at bib-katalog:~# apt install rabbitmq-server
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> Reading state information... Done
> The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer
> required:
>    at daemon docbook-xml docbook-xsl fontconfig fonts-dejavu
> fonts-dejavu-extra
>    gettext graphviz gsfonts icu-devtools idzebra-2.0 idzebra-2.0-common
>    idzebra-2.0-doc idzebra-2.0-utils libalgorithm-c3-perl
>    libalgorithm-checkdigits-perl libann0 libany-uri-escape-perl
>    libanyevent-http-perl libanyevent-perl libapache-logformat-compiler-perl
>    libapache2-mpm-itk libappconfig-perl libarchive-extract-perl
>    libarchive-zip-perl libarray-utils-perl libasync-interrupt-perl
>    libauth-googleauth-perl libauthen-cas-client-perl libb-debug-perl
>    libb-hooks-endofscope-perl libb-hooks-op-check-perl
> libbarcode-code128-perl
>    libbiblio-endnotestyle-perl libbit-vector-perl
> libbusiness-isbn-data-perl
>    libbusiness-isbn-perl libbusiness-issn-perl libbytes-random-secure-perl
> [...]

Michael Hafen
Washington County School District Technology Department
Systems Analyst