[Koha-devel] ElasticSearch Geoserch

Thomas Klausner domm at plix.at
Fri Jul 1 11:08:02 CEST 2022

Hi!

On Thu, Jun 30, 2022 at 09:35:05AM +1000, dcook at prosentient.com.au wrote:

> Where in the bib record are you storing the coordinate data? Have you
> looked at https://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/bd034.html? It looks
> like that field was redescribed in 2021 to perfectly suit your use
> case.

Oh, 034 is new to me, but looks like a perfect match. Currently some
geoinfo is stored in https://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/bd751.html
and we were considering (ab)using the non-specified subfield $x and $y
for longitude and latitude.

> In terms of feasibility, I think the main change would be to add
> suitable indexes for 034 MARC21 data.

Yes, that's what I think too.

> Beyond that, I think a plugin
> would make the most sense for a frontend, as the geosearch would
> probably be fairly specific to your library's needs.

That's the plan

> But if you could
> think of a geosearch that is useful for other libraries as well, then
> I imagine it could make it into Koha.

I guess "upgrading" a useful and working plugin to a Koha core feature
is easier than trying to implement it in Koha itself.

Thanks for the feedback!

Greetings,
domm

--