[Koha-devel] Thoughts on retiring libapache2-mpm-itk?

dcook at prosentient.com.au dcook at prosentient.com.au
Tue Jul 26 04:05:39 CEST 2022

Hi all,

I was looking at BibLibre's ERM sandbox, and I noticed that the Nginx
reverse proxy was using HTTP/2. It got me thinking about Apache httpd and
HTTP/2.

Apparently, Apache has an optional mod_http2 module, but it is said to work
better with mpm_event and mpm_worker than mpm_prefork.

But because we use mpm_itk (in order to declare "AssignUserID kohadev-koha
kohadev-koha" per VirtualHost) we're tied to using mpm_prefork.

Yet. Koha mostly runs in Starman these days. We don't necessarily get that
much benefit from AssignUserID anymore. The main problem would be
permissions for the CGI scripts that we don't proxy. So maybe we wait until
after we're proxying everything through Apache and Apache is just a reverse
proxy to Starman and a static asset server. Because at that point. there's
no reason it couldn't just run under the "www-data" user.

I mean we could try testing mod_http2 with mpm_prefork anyway I suppose. And
there's always the old "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I suppose I just think it's funny that HTTP/3 exists (although it's not
widely supported on FOSS servers yet) but we haven't even moved from
HTTP/1.1 to HTTP/2.

Frido, curious if you have any comments on HTTP/2 since I'm guessing you set
up that Nginx reverse proxy?

David Cook

Senior Software Engineer

Prosentient Systems