[Koha-devel] Gitlab policy changes

Victor Grousset/tuxayo victor at tuxayo.net
Fri Jun 10 22:42:29 CEST 2022

On 22-05-26 01:55, dcook at prosentient.com.au wrote:
> In theory, the organisation should be the Koha Community so it might be OK, since it doesn't sell services.

In practice we would be trying to scam GitLab.com
If we look at
https://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Roles_for_22.11
and count for Release Manager, QA team, RMaints, Packaging Team,
Translation Manager. We have around 17 people and between 11 and 12 are
working or subcontracting for private support companies.
(Assuming they are all for profit because unfortunately, almost no one
does non profit companies even though that totally works to make a
living out of one's business.)

We might not have remorse in trying to scam a publicly traded company
but we should be aware among ourselves that's the plan.

On 22-05-26 12:39, Jonathan Druart wrote:
 > There is a checkbox on the form
 > That's the only reason I haven't filled in the form already, it's not
 > clear to me if we are eligible or not.

Reading the checkbox, it looks clear that no matter how we want to
define maintainers. There are way too much in proportion that are
seeking to make a profit that we can't in good faith try to negotiate
that we still fit the criteria.

We can still try and be upfront and present the project and hope that
they want to support it.

Or try to scam them without remorse because why not. It's not like
GitLab is very respectable since they are publicly traded and the full
version of GitLab include proprietary parts.

And self-host the workers if that fails.

Cheers,

--
Victor Grousset/tuxayo