[Koha-devel] Developing/Testing Zebra using Docker

dcook at prosentient.com.au dcook at prosentient.com.au
Thu May 26 04:07:53 CEST 2022

Hi nerds,

Ever feel like Zebra is an intimidating black box of mystery? Well, you're
certainly not alone. That's how I felt when I first encountered it over 10
years ago.

Over the past decade, I've read through the C code and submitted issue
reports to Indexdata, but it wasn't until the other day that I decided I'd
try hacking on Zebra to try to understand its operation better (especially
faceting).

I kept notes of my process for developing and testing Zebra and I've posted
them to https://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Developing_Zebra. Using these
straightforward steps you should be able to hack, compile, and run Zebra.
(At some stage, I might actually provide a Dockerfile or Docker image that
is even more convenient.)

When looking at faceting, I wasn't able to solve the problem, but I was able
to isolate the problematic function by hacking on Zebra, and now I'm waiting
to hear back from Indexdata for advice. So I think it was a useful exercise.

I think Tomas has already hacked on Zebra, so he probably doesn't need this,
but I thought it might be interesting for people to review and try if they
were interested.

David Cook

Senior Software Engineer

Prosentient Systems