[Koha-devel] [Koha] Where would I put the OpenLibrary ID in the MARC record

Nigel Titley nigel at titley.com
Thu Aug 10 10:39:33 CEST 2023

On 08/08/2023 10:58, Nigel Titley wrote:

> On 24/07/2023 01:11, David Cook wrote:
>
>> You could send a request for an "openlibrary" code to be added to the
>> official Standard Identifier Source Codes list:
>> https://www.loc.gov/standards/sourcelist/index.html#maintenance .
>> Honestly, I'm a little surprised there isn't already an entry for it
>> there. I'm sure they'd approve a request for it.
>
> I've put in a request to the LOC. We'll see if anything comes of it.
> They may request (I would do so in their place) that the request comes
> from the Open Library itself in which case I'll have to chase that route
> first.

Well, to my surprise LOC got back to me today and said they had added
Open Library to the SISC list.

https://loc.gov/marc/relators/tn230808src.html

So we now have a standardised way to add OLIDs to a MARC record

024 7 _ | $2 openlib | $a <OLID>

And that means I can have a look at adding OLIDs to the cover art
retrieval from Open Library... which means dusting off my... erk...
javascript. Which means sorting out sympa so I can get Koha up to date...

Nigel