[Koha-devel] Trouble for the Gitea project: forked to Forgejo

Victor Grousset/tuxayo victor at tuxayo.net
Wed Jan 25 03:45:59 CET 2023

Hi :)

Thanks David Nind for sharing this info on the last dev meeting:

> Use of Gitea: We use Gitea for git.koha-community.org. Gitea was "forked" and is now Forgejo[1] - see the links update and related links[2] (sounds eerily familiar 8-(.. ). The community needs to look at what to do next, such as whether to continue to use Gitea, update to Forgejo, do something else.... (David Nind)
> [1] https://forgejo.org/
 > [2] https://forgejo.org/2022-12-26-monthly-update

Comments during the meeting:

> forgejo is the 'good' one?

> that's what it looks like ^^

> "After Gitea Ltd confirmed the takeover of the Gitea project on 30 October 2022, a group of people proposed that Codeberg e.V. should become the custodian of a fork of Gitea. The proposal was accepted 16 November 2022" - e.V. is a German thing actually

More details:

e. V. is the legal form for associations in Germany and Codeberg e. V.
is known for their Gitea (well, now Forgejo) instance that became host
to a decent number of libre projects in the last two years.
(likely they moved away from GitHub and not wanted the not libre GitLab
instance at GitLab.com (open-core))

Trivia:
 > Forgejo (pronounced /forˈd͡ʒe.jo/) is inspired by forĝejo, the
Esperanto word for forge.

😃😃😃 I knew the name spelling looked familiar!

Cheers,

--
Victor Grousset/tuxayo