[Koha-devel] Tidy your code! And run the QA script!

Tomas Cohen Arazi tomascohen at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 18:02:23 CEST 2023

Hi all. I've been trying to push as much as I can from the PQA queue, and
I'm finding that most of the patches haven't been tidied up yet or have
trivially caught issues (maybe not most, but a lot).

For example, this is what I find when I run an up to date KTD and the code
is not tidy:

```
kohadev-koha at kohadevbox:koha(master)$ qa -c 1 --run-tests
testing 1 commit(s) (applied to e0df163 'fcf Bug 33933: Only show use
restrict')

Processing files before patches
|========================>| 2 / 2 (100.00%)
Processing files after patches
|========================>| 2 / 2 (100.00%)

 WARN Koha/Recalls.pm
   WARN  tidiness
The file is less tidy than before (bad/messy lines before: 41, now: 42)

 WARN t/db_dependent/Koha/Recalls.t
   WARN  tidiness
The file is less tidy than before (bad/messy lines before: 100, now: 101)

Processing additional checks OK!

Running tests (1)
* Proving /kohadevbox/koha/t/db_dependent/Koha/Recalls.t OK!
```

This is probably because they were submitted *before* we decided to enforce
it on the QA tools, and it is understandable that, in some cases, it was
not caught by a not-up-to-date QA command.

As all testers and QA team members are encouraged to run the `qa` script
before signing patches, I assume the underlying problem is that their KTD
images are old and don't contain the latest QA tools version. So please
make sure your KTD images or qa-test-tools clone is up to date. And run the
tool, all the time!

So, to sumarize:
- Patch authors need to tidy the new blocks of code they introduce, or
modify.
- Instructions on setting perltidy on your favourite editor can be found on
the wiki [1]. If your editor is missing, ask for help on IRC, the mailing
list, or just use one from the documented ones.
- QA members need to run the QA scripts.
- You need to build the habit of pulling the latest KTD images every now
and then. In case important things changed. And also run `docker system
prune -a` (while KTD is running, so only the old images are cleared)
- The RM will start failing patches that the QA script says have issues.
Both authors and testers have the ability to run the script before
submission. Every extra minute it takes to be gentle and fix the patch
inline makes us have less time to push your next stuff!

If you read all this, thank you! You are awesome! And I'm really glad to be
working on this side-by-side with you! And I hope to share some beers and
cookies in Helsinki soon!

Cheers!

[1] https://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Perltidy

--