[Koha-devel] A case against our release dates

David Cook dcook at prosentient.com.au
Fri Jun 2 02:14:48 CEST 2023

I think that it never hurts to review an established tradition!

In the southern hemisphere, I often catch up on a lot of work in December as many clients go on holiday early, and then I have my summer holidays in January. In April, I’ll take the latest point release of the November version (e.g. XX.11.03), and base local work off that, since it’s new but not *too new* (ie buggy).

If the community did releases in February/March and August/September… I’d probably use the August/September release as my local code base for February-April since February/March would be “too new”/bleeding edge for me.

Of course, August/September is right after northern hemisphere summer holidays… which might mean it’s a smaller release or it’s less stable as it has fewer eyes on it…

And if the release was in February/March, would Hackfest be about setting the path for the next cycle, or would it be fixing all the bugs in the release that just came out a few weeks earlier?

Would December Christmas holidays negatively impact a February/March release?

Maybe it’s just human nature to leave big changes too close to the release date? We always think there will be lots of time, and then we rush to do things at the last minute?

In any case, I think it’s worthwhile reviewing what we’re doing.

David Cook

Senior Software Engineer

Prosentient Systems

Suite 7.03