[Koha-devel] Configuration inheritance/override

David Cook dcook at prosentient.com.au
Fri Jun 2 05:18:37 CEST 2023

Hi all,

I think that we've all noticed that it's easy to add a new configuration
item to koha-conf.xml for new instances, but that it's much harder to update
koha-conf.xml when upgrading existing instances.

A strategy that I (and others) have used on other projects is to have a
core/base configuration file with defaults, and then the local config file
is used to override those defaults on a per-instance basis.

The core/base config file can be replaced as part of a Debian package
upgrade, and it can be used to push out updated configuration to all
instances with 1 click.

This methodology also means that the local config file can often be fairly
small too as it's only overriding specific configuration items.

Anyway, it's easier said than done for Koha, but it's a thought, especially
as we move forward. I know this is a problem that we bump into often in Koha
and it would help to solve it.

David Cook

Senior Software Engineer

Prosentient Systems