[Koha-devel] Keycloak extension for using Koha as user storage backend

David Cook dcook at prosentient.com.au
Wed Oct 11 08:24:26 CEST 2023

Hi all,

Last year, I wrote a Keycloak extension for older Keycloak versions that
uses Koha as a user storage backend. It allowed me to set up Keycloak as a
shared IdP for Koha and other services, which allowed users to use their
Koha credentials to log in.

I'm almost finished writing an updated extension that works with the latest
Keycloak 22+ (presumably Keycloak 20+ but I tested on Keycloak 22).

I had to build a simple custom Docker image for Keycloak to include the
extension, but I was able to get it to work in koha-testing-docker.

If folk are interested in this work, I would be happy to look at sharing it.

I have an increasing number of libraries who want an Identity Provider to
provide SSO across Koha and other library services (like EBSCO's EDS), but
they don't have an existing organisational Identity Provider. Keycloak fits
well, and this extension makes it so easy for libraries and their users,
since all the user management stays in Koha.

David Cook

Senior Software Engineer

Prosentient Systems

Suite 7.03