[Koha-devel] Seeking comments on Bug 34745: ThingISBN broken

Owen Leonard oleonard at myacpl.org
Fri Sep 29 13:10:50 CEST 2023

I noticed recently that requests to LibraryThing's ThingISBN service
are being blocked. Koha tries to access a url like this:

https://www.librarything.com/api/thingISBN/0439139600

...which opens fine in a browser, but triggers the response "WARNING:
URL Request Failed 403 Forbidden" when Koha tries it.

Koha is currently sending the user agent "libwww-perl/6.52" and if I
use Firefox's developer tools to load the page with that set as a
custom user agent I get a CloudFlare-generated "access denied"
message.

I see other CloudFlare customers complaining about this, so it may
just be a default. Should we ask LibraryThing to change their
configuration? Should we send a less obtrusive user agent with the
request?

-- Owen

--
Web Developer