[Koha-devel] XZ Utils backdoor for Linux

Paul A paul.a at navalmarinearchive.com
Thu Apr 4 17:57:27 CEST 2024

On 2024-04-03 19:15, David Cook via Koha-devel wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This isn’t related to Koha per se, but I thought I’d share it for anyone
> who hasn’t seen it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XZ_Utils_backdoor
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XZ_Utils_backdoor>
>
> All the more reason to have things like Kohacon so that we actually know
> each other…

Thanks David.   For those using Debian: "Right now no Debian stable
versions are known to be affected. Compromised packages were part of the
Debian testing, unstable and experimental distributions"
<https://lists.debian.org/debian-security-announce/2024/msg00057.html>

and Ubuntu: "The affected version of xz-utils was only in
noble-proposed, and was removed before migrating to noble itself. No
released versions of Ubuntu were affected by this issue."
<https://ubuntu.com/security/CVE-2024-3094>

Now back to my trusty old Koha 3.8.24, current server up-time 1,410 days ;=}

Paul