[Koha-devel] Finding invalid XML characters in Koha data via SQL

Marcel de Rooy M.de.Rooy at rijksmuseum.nl
Fri Apr 12 08:03:22 CEST 2024

+1
________________________________
Van: Koha-devel <koha-devel-bounces at lists.koha-community.org> namens David Cook via Koha-devel <koha-devel at lists.koha-community.org>
Verzonden: vrijdag 12 april 2024 03:36
Aan: 'Koha-devel' <koha-devel at lists.koha-community.org>
Onderwerp: [Koha-devel] Finding invalid XML characters in Koha data via SQL

Hi all,

I just wanted to share a (MariaDB) SQL report that I wrote for finding bib records with invalid XML characters:

select biblionumber from biblio_metadata where metadata REGEXP '[^\\x{0009}\\x{000A}\\x{000D}\\x{0020}-\\x{D7FF}\\x{E000}-\\x{FFFD}\\x{10000}-\\x{10FFFF}]+';

Newer versions of Koha strip invalid character from the XML so that you can fix your records. I figure this report is very valuable when coupled with that functionality. In fact, I just advised a library today to use them together to fix up some bad data in their catalogue.

--

On a related note, I’ve noticed that you can have a record with good bib XML but invalid item XML, and you won’t notice until your record fails to be indexed. So I’m planning on writing a report for that too.

I’m thinking it might be good to add these reports to core Koha, so that people can find and fix their own metadata problems. What do people think?

David Cook

Senior Software Engineer

Prosentient Systems

Suite 7.03