[Koha-devel] SelfCheckoutByLogin

David Cook dcook at prosentient.com.au
Mon Apr 15 09:10:49 CEST 2024

Part of the reason is that it’s considerably more complicated and error-prone.

If you log in using Google OpenID Connect, the self-checkout browser will retain your Google user session beyond your Koha self-checkout user session. Also, when Koha goes back to Google to authenticate someone else, it will auto-detect that you’re still logged in, and use your account instead.

In theory, we could do a back channel logout against Google (or whatever other OpenID Connect identity provider), but if that failed to run for whatever reason you’re risking someone else at a public terminal accessing your personal Google account.

SAML doesn’t even have options for back channel logout, which makes it not an option at all.

If someone can think of a really good way of making this work, I’d be happy to discuss it further, but I can’t think of a safe way to do this on a public terminal at the moment.

David Cook

Senior Software Engineer

Prosentient Systems

Suite 7.03