[Koha-devel] Ponderings on locations

Michael Hafen michael.hafen at washk12.org
Wed Mar 6 18:46:13 CET 2024

On Wed, Mar 6, 2024 at 1:11 AM Wagner, Alexander <alexander.wagner at desy.de>
wrote:

> Hi!

> > These are home branch and holding branch internally.
> > It seems like most of what you are talking about here is the Shelving
> > Location.
>
> Yes. My question is mainly: how do I tell, also to patrons in the OPAC but
> also me if I explain the OPAC to a new patron, where to go for an item.
> E.g. if it has been requested and is prepared for some patron another one
> will not find it in the shelves, so IMHO it is a good idea to show in OPAC
> that it is in a different location. (Currently, we add a temporary location
> like `Library Desk Hamburg` or `Library Desk Zeuthen` in this case.)

I was recently looking at Shelving location actually, and this was the
thing the librarian who wanted it mentioned, how to show the shelving
location on the OPAC.  I found there are a couple relevant system
preferences.

OpacLocationOnDetail : controls if shelving location is shown in the same
column as one of the branch fields, or in its own column, or is not shown.
This also mentions the item_shelving_location column in the table settings
administration page, in the OPAC group, in the "holdingst" table. (Make
sure it is unchecked so it is not hidden.)

OpacAdvancedSearchTypes and AdvancedSearchTypes : controls whether the
shelving location is presented in a tab group on the search page with the
item types.  The other field that can be in that tab group is Collection.

--
Michael Hafen
Washington County School District Technology Department