[Koha-docs] [Koha-translate] Arabic manual 38

Bernardo Gonzalez Kriegel bgkriegel at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 01:02:16 CEST 2012

Hi Karam, Laurence and all interested.

While watching the Olympics, I was working in the process of translating
the manual,
following the procedure suggested by Karam.

I did use the git version of the manual for Koha 3.8.x
(git clone git://git.koha-community.org/kohadocs.git; cd kohadocs; git
branch --track 3.8.x origin/manual3.8.x; git checkout 3.8.x)
and found the following:

1) Using itstool from repository (itstool 1.1.0, Min12/Ubuntu 11.0) on
english version of the manual,
(itstool -l es_ES -o manual.pot manual.xml 2> err.log), was able to create
manual.pot.
I found the same error messages as Laurence, and no editing (XMLEditor, vi)
could get rid of them.

The offending words (for itstool)
where '©', 'é', 'è', '∞', '“',
'‘', '—', ' ', '£', '”'
and '’'.

2) Most of them can be replaced.
In fact, I suggest (Nicole) to switch the encoding of the manual to UTF-8
(current encoding="US-ASCII").
Then, for consistency
eacute and egrave should be replaced by é and è (ej. Café, Babelthèque)
ldquo and rdquor by "
lsquo and rsquor by '
nbsp could be deleted or replaced by space. (only five occurrences)
mdash appears only once in the GNU license, and they use "--" in that
position in their website.
(I coud send a patch for all these)

There is no logic replacement for 'infin' (once) and 'pound' (twice), they
are valid symbols.
But 'infin' appears in an example URL, perhaps is a mistake.
And 'pound' appears in an example of costs, could be replaced by $

Anyway the 'pot' file is created with those symbols/words and can be
translated, but...

3) There is another tool, xml2pot (from package poxml), that generates
a MUCH MUCH MUCH better PO file.
itstool produces 3 lines for each string (msgctxt, msgid and msgstr),
and produces an irrelevant entry for each image (827 lines)

xml2pot produces a cleaner POT file, and without warnings/errors
(usage: xml2pot manual.xml > manual.pot)

There is a tool for the reverse task, po2xml (same package), but do not
recommend using it (because it mangles the output file)

4) Then I suggest a change in the procedure:

Fix manual.xml, at least the encoding
xml2pot manual.xml > manual.pot
msginit -i manual.pot -o manual.po --locale=xx_YY --no-translator
do some translation on manual.po
msgfmt -o manual.mo manual.po
itstool -m manual.mo -o manual.xx.xml manual.xml (this gives warnigs if
manual.xml is not fixed)

Then open and read your (partially) translated manual.

I hope that you could try this steps and comment your results.

Regards

Bernardo
--
Bernardo Gonzalez Kriegel