[Koha-docs] [Koha-translate] Koha Manual translation site

Frédéric Demians frederic at tamil.fr
Thu Sep 20 07:40:41 CEST 2012

Hi Bernardo and Tomas,

Your announcement for koha-devel list members:

http://lists.koha-community.org/pipermail/koha-translate/2012-September/001930.html

Thanks a lot for your work. From my perspective, you reach the point
where your documentation translation workflow and tools is usable by the
whole community. Could you propose to discuss the subject on the next
IRC meeting?

http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/General_IRC_meeting,_10_October_2012

 > Hopefully this will be useful to the community, and that someday this
 > work can be integrated into the main translation site of Koha.

The translation files (.po files) could be stored centrally on the
community Pootle server, with the current Koha translation files.
Someone will have to manage those specific files, and how they are used
to generate Koha manual in various languages.

Is it necessary to have a new role? 'Manual translation manager',
affiliated to the Translation manager. It could help the various jobs to
be done properly to have several related roles. For example:

   Translation manager >
     Manual translation manager (Bernardo or Tomas?)
     Translators community manager
     Translatability QA

Those kind of sub-roles could be extended to other Koha community
positions... It could be the responsibility of the 'main' manager to
choose his/her affiliated managers.

In order to help Manual translators, a workflow must be designed to
generate automatically HTML/PDF versions of manual, so they can see the
result of their work. Where to put them? Automation? What to do if
something break? Which frequency?

A release schedule must be decided, to distinguish work in progress and
'official' issued translated manuals. Or it can be done language per
language, at translators demand. So the need of a Manual translation
manager.

Which coordination with Documentation manager? It isn't only necessary
to generate documentation from .po files but also to update the .po
files when the Documentation manager edit the original English manual.
How will it be done? Which frequency? Are milestones necessary? How can
the Translation manager reports information to the translators?
Conversely, how can translators, who are quality proofreaders, can
reports to the Translation manager errors, improvement suggestions?

What to do with current massive use of images in Manual? It make
translators work difficult. A picture worth a thousand words. You bet.
But is it still true in a multi-lingual environment? Couldn't it be
decided to avoid images in manual, for the future, and in accordance
with the Documentation manager?

Kind regards,
--
Frédéric DEMIANS