[Koha-oz] Quick spine label printing

Shannon Taheny library at mac.org.au
Tue Feb 11 05:10:39 CET 2014

Hi Moyra

I use a TSC TTP-244 Plus thermal transfer printer and love it!!

I did quite a bit of research into using label printers like the ones you are talking about and found that if they are thermal direct printers (which a lot of those style printers are) then they will fade with heat and the sun/light as well as time. The thermal transfer however, uses a ribbon to print and as such don’t fade.

There is a great article about this to be found at the Utah Stat Uni http://digitalcommons.usu.edu/lib_pubs/9/

The article is about 10 years old, but many of its points are still relevant.

With my printer I am able to print both spine labels as well as barcodes and pretty much anything else that I can think of. It connects directly with KOHA and all my other programs, but Also has its own software that is quite easy to use.

My favourite way to use the printer is to do my cataloguing using the Chrome browser and using Firefox for circulation as that doesn’t have the funny little quirk that Chrome has when printing a quick slip in circulation. Chrome retains the settings for the individual printers and I don’t have to reset the print options for the labels like I do with the other browsers.

If you have any other questions, I’m happy to answer them for you.

Regards

Shannon

Shannon Taheny

Information & Resources Coordinator
Multicultural Aged Care
94 Henley Beach Road
Mile End SA 5031
PO Box 488
Torrensville Plaza SA 5031

Ph: (08) 8241 9900
Fax: (08) 8352 1266

Email: shannon at mac.org.au<mailto:shannon at mac.org.au>
Web: www.mac.org.au<http://www.mac.org.au/>

New @ MAC Library

Volya! The legend unfolds by Volya Ukrainian Dance Ensemble

Ukraine : nature traditions culture by Oleksandr Bilousko

A Vietnamese family chronicle : twelve generations on the banks of the Hat River by Nguyen Trieu Dan

Creative therapy : fifty-two exercises for groups by Eugene Shea

                Images gone with time : photographic reflections of Slovak folk life (1950-1965) by Igor Grossman

“Diversity is not about how we differ. Diversity is about embracing one another's uniqueness.”
~ Ola Joseph Nigerian-born motivational speaker, author and trainer