[Koha-oz] Koha and Cobber

Michael . keltoiboy at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 04:33:19 CET 2015

Hello everyone.

This is my first post to this list so it is an introduction of myself and
my project (Cobber).

A couple of years ago I created a Wordpress page about a project I had just
started called Cobber Linux (1) or Cobber for short. I started Cobber as a
way of teaching myself the finer details of Linux (more specifically
Debian). and after a short while decided I would make Cobber a Debian based
distribution specifically for Australasia. I taught myself how to use
Debian Live Build to create a Live CD/DVD/USB and was going to release
Cobber on a Wheezy base. Now that Debian Jessie is in Freeze I decided to
use Jessie as Cobber's first base for release.

In the time since I first created the Wordpress page I have taught myself
webdesign, purchased a domain name "cobber-linux.org" (2), written a
website (still working on it in various ways) and have developed a
repository (3) which is undergoing a full rebuild over the next couple of
weeks, and translated into Australian English various open source projects
such as MATE, XFCE, Pidgin, and parts of XMBC.

My desire for Cobber is for it to be a viable alternative to the MS
Windows/Apple duopoly currently seen in Australasia. I see no valid reason
for MS Windows and Apple to have market dominance for computer operating
systems in schools, libraries, government offices, business', and private
homes. I want to offer people in Australasia a viable option. It will be
released in 4 distinct versions (Australia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea,
and Pacific Islands) with the possibility of more if demand shows a need
with a variety of Desktop Environments.

You may be wondering why I have told you all this. Well, I would like to
support Koha by providing Koha packages in Cobber's repository. I do not
know who to ask and when I found this mailing list I thought I would join
and ask here if it is ok or find out who I do need to ask. Just so you know
in the process of teaching myself Reprepro and sourceforge I have already
downloaded Koha (and other open source projects), created a repo on my
worksation, and uplaoded the repo to my sourceforge page. I will be pulling
the current repo down and recreating a new version on the same page.

I hope to have a great working relationship with Koha and hope that in some
way Cobber may be able to help Koha spread in Australasia.

Cheers.
Michael.

(1) https://cobberlinux.wordpress.com/
(2) http://cobber-linux.org/cobber.html