[Koha-oz] Self-checkout machines & Koha

Bob Birchall bob at calyx.net.au
Wed Feb 15 01:47:47 CET 2017

Hi Kathleen,
Koha has support for the SIP2 protocol, so the equipment of any vendor
who implements SIP2 faithfully will talk to Koha.
Bibliotecha (previously 3M) and FE Technologies are two that are known
to comply, as other replies you have received confirm.

Installation should be straightforward.  On the Koha side, your IT/Koha
support will liaise with the vendor to test the communications before
you go live.  The biggest task for you is updating the item records to
replace the barcode with RFID tag code.

One issue is that SIP2 communications are not encrypted and if you are
concerned about that you can ask for an extra security layer to be
implemented.  We use 'stunnel'.

I hope this helps.
Bob Birchall
Calyx