[Koha-oz] Koha in schools: group patrons by class?

Bob Birchall bob at calyx.net.au
Sat Apr 28 09:10:58 CEST 2018

Hi Michael,
I didn't see that you received a response to this post. If you did but I
missed it, I'm sorry.

Defining an additional patron attribute is a valid way of achieving your
goal. However if it is the only additional attribute you will have,
there are times it might feel cumbersome. For example, when you need to
use the parameter in a report, you'll need to join the additional
attributes table - by no means a game breaker, but a consideration.

An alternative approach that some schools have taken is to use the Sort1
or Sort2 fields in the borrowers table. You can define your classes as a
set of Authorised Values for the chosen field if you wish. And if you
feel the need, you can re-name the field using a little js.

I hope this helps, despite the delay.
Bob Birchall
Calyx