[Koha-translate] Re: [Koha-devel] Time estimate for the translation of koha

Axel Bojer axelb at skolelinux.no
Mon Aug 20 20:50:57 CEST 2007

Joshua M. Ferraro skrev:
> Hi Axel,
(...)
> opac is the OPAC interface, and intranet is the Staff one. The Staff
> interface is larger because there are many more pages and lots more
> text to translate.

Ok, so no more themes than this two are needed for 2.2.9?
(The others are then optional, right?)

(...)
> We're pretty close to a release of 3.0, though in the next month or so
> there will be at least some changes to the HTML markup which will affect
> translation. The 3.0 markup represents a fairly drastic change from the
> 2.2 series so I'm afraid that translations of 2.2.x won't be that useful.

Ok, I think thats settles it prretty much: 3.0 would be the best choice
for us. We are not in a hurry :-)

> The good news is that there is only one theme in 3.0, and we intend to
> keep it that way for the 'official' project templates. This means that
> you'll only have two POT files to contend with, one for the OPAC and
> one for the Staff client. If you're not in a super hurry, I'd recommend
> waiting a bit until 3.0's templates are stabilized ... once that happens
> I'll be posting widely about it and updating translate.koha.org with the
> new POT files so folks can start translating Koha 3.0 into their
> language(s).

Seems to me like a good idea (I still don't grasp why there are other
strings in different themes though, must be another set of funcionality
in them then?)

> There's another, separate issue not mentioned yet, which is translation
> of the MARC frameworks, including authorities control and bibliographic
> entries (essentially, these are labels of the MARC tags and subtags that
> a cataloger uses). That adds about 1,500 additional lines.

What is the purpose of these strings and do everyone need them, or is
this kore for special needs?

>>> The purpose of translate.koha.org is to simplify the process of
>>> maintenance of the POT files. To be sure, it could use a bit more
>>> maintenance. We're currently lacking an official 'translation
>>> manager' for the Koha project, but I do my best in my spare time
>>> to verify and add translation requests to that site.
>> Could you then add all the needed files for the norwegian translation? I
>> have started on the one I found there, just to have a glimpse on it
>> and to see what awaits us :-)
> The 2.2.x templates have about 5,000 lines IIRC. I'm happy to add an
> entry for 2.2.9 to translate.koha.org. I'll also see about getting you
> copies of the MARC bibliographic and authorities frameworks. Do you know
> whether UNIMARC or MARC21 is preferred?

5.000?
Kbabel counted css_opac.pot to 472 strings and default_intranet.pot to
2576, this makes about 3.000. What am I missing here?

(...)
>> BTW: Would'nt it be less work and make it easier for translators too to
>> include the questions I have asked and their answers somewehere on the
>> web page, for instance on:
>> http://translate.koha.org/use.php?lg=en
>> or
>> http://wiki.koha.org/doku.php?id=howtotranslatekoha
>> (that is almost empty now)
>> or
>> http://wiki.koha.org/doku.php
>>
>> Then newcomers would not have to wonder, for long that is, about the
>> same as me :-)
> It sure would be a good idea, can I take that to mean you'd be willing to
> compose an add such an explanation given the appropriate access? ;-)
>
> I won't make any bones about it, due to time constraints, I'm a lousy
> translation manager ... I'd be happy to hand the job over to someone
> who's got available time/resources to devote to the job.

I am sorry to say I do not have this time either. But I shall try to put
down our conclusions from this thread if you will grant me access and
point me to the appropriate place for it.
How do you find
http://wiki.koha.org/doku.php?id=howtotranslatekoha
(almost empty now)?

Best regards